May 4: “Episcopal Evangelism”: Tools for Your CongregationMarch 29th, 2012 | Posted by in News
Friday May 4th 9:00 AM– Saturday May 5th 2:30 PM at the Dumas Bay Retreat Centre in Federal Way, Washington
Sponsored and designed by the Diocese of Olympia Evangelism Commission
This one and a half day “working retreat” will give you the opportunity to
- Acquire a working definition of “Episcopal Evangelism” suited to your context
- Work on clearly articulating your congregation’s unique identity
- Learn how to engage with newcomers and visitors as you listen to who they are and tell them who you are
- Learn how to assess how welcoming your congregation is to visitors and newcomers
- Leave with an increased confidence in the next steps you and your congregation can take to grow and share the Good News of Christ as experienced within an Episcopal ethos and character
Cost: $50 registration fee per participant (meals, materials and overnight accommodations provided to participants at Dumas Bay).
Congregations who cannot afford this fee can request registration fee assistance.
Teams from congregations are encouraged to come, including those involved or interested in learning more about welcoming newcomers and visitors to your congregation. Individuals from congregations welcome too!
For details and to register now, contact Sharon Pethers at email@example.com. Information and registration will be up on the Diocese of Olympia website by the last week of March. For questions about the content and design of the event, email The Rev. Canon Melissa Skelton at firstname.lastname@example.org. Enrollment is limited!
If you have you ever said….
- “We know we’re a welcoming church, but visitors don’t seem to return.”
- “I’m not sure how to describe my church to people who are interested.”
- “I love the Episcopal Church…why don’t others know about us?”
- “I know we’re supposed to talk with visitors–how can we do this better?”
- “I wish I knew how visitors experience Sunday morning (or evening) here.”
Bring a team from your church to this learning and working retreat!