Episcopal Diocese of Spokane Foundation
“In a diocese rich with opportunities and challenged with unmet needs, we must now make a quantum leap to ensure that financial resources are available to fulfill the Mission Imperatives adopted unanimously by diocesan Convention. We cannot simply maintain what we have, of that I am certain. We will either flourish or languish. We know well what Christ is calling us to do. The time to move forward boldly in mission is upon us. -Bishop James E. Waggoner, Jr.
“The mission of the Episcopal Foundation for the Diocese of Spokane is to expand the work of God in the Diocese of Spokane. The Foundation will work in partnership with missions and parishes in establishing and expanding their stewardship programs, long-term funding plans for growth and program, and foster new and inventive programs that will benefit the parishes, missions, and the diocese.”
Foundation Vision Statement:
“Stewardship, in all its forms, helps change lives. The Foundation’s vision is to educate all members of the Diocese in the theology and practices of Stewardship.”
Mission Imperatives for the diocese:
- Intentionally invite and include others in our church communities
- Make Christian formation a priority for all ages.
- Boldly embrace new ventures in ministry.
- Strengthen and support Hispanic ministry across the Diocese.
- Focus our outreach to serve the world more effectively in Christ’s name.
- Strive to attract and involve younger members.
- Strengthen and unify our diocesan community.
The Foundation was created to:
- Consolidate into one body the various committees that provide stewardship, planned giving, and management
- Provide continuity of expertise on various ways to give, including short and long term gifts (endowment), investment management, and stewardship education.
- Act as an incubator to fund new programs at the parish or diocesan level
- Insulate funds from legal actions aimed at the diocese, a parish, or missions
The work of the Foundation will provide much greater financial stability, inter-connectivity, resources and opportunities for spiritual growth across the Diocese. It will uncover new energy to carry out the mission and ministries by supporting current and new programs, helping with improvements to Camp Cross, providing camper scholarships.
As Endowments within the Foundations are created and grow they will provide long-term support for the congregations that created them; fund the work of the Bishop and unexpected needs of the Diocese; provide Camp Cross with a stable, dependable source of revenue, and strengthen the ability of congregations to meet the Mission Imperatives.
These current Endowments held by the Foundation are administered by a Board of Trustees:
The Endowment for the Episcopate will primarily support the compensation and work of the Bishop. This helps ensure the long-term financial stability of the diocese and reduce congregational askings. It will also be used by the Bishop to provide resources precisely where they are needed.
The Endowment for Church Growth and Development will provide funds to meet the priority needs of congregations as they address the mission imperatives and support new programs and opportunities so they can grow and flourish.
Camp Cross Endowment will provide an ongoing dependable source of funds for the camp.
The Episcopal Diocese of Spokane Foundation became a separate nonprofit corporation and was granted its status by the IRS in 2003. It is registered in the states of Washington and Idaho. The Foundation is governed by a Board of Trustees and managed by an Executive Director who will manage the activities and function as the planned giving officer.
If you have any questions regarding the Diocesan Foundation, please contact:
Carol Neupert, Interim Executive Director
The Episcopal Diocese of Spokane Foundation
245 E. 13th Avenue
Spokane, WA 99202